top of page
79qca2hf.png

Church History

St. Cecilia Catholic Church

 The first mass was offered in Jal, New Mexico by Fr. Hugh Rochkes, OFM Conv. in 1940. A public school om the city of Jal was the site. Later, an abandoned hardware store was purchased and remodeled to give semblance of a Church, and this building served as the First Parish Catholic Church in the city of Jal.

​

It was named " Saint Cecilia" in honor of the mother of Mr. Cornelious Becker; who gave generously of his time, talents, and means to establish the Mission Church.

​

The location of this church was on Main Street and Utah Street in the city of Jal. While some members of the Catholic Community went to Wink, Texas to attend catholic services, the early history of St. Cecilia Church began in  the early forties. Mr. Becker purchased the land and the old hardware store. Accordingly, fifteen people attended the newly founded Church in the year 1957.

​

The present structure of the Church began in  1955 under the administration of Fr. Lucian Harkins, OFM Conv. Construction of the Church building was begun in 1955 by Mr. Tony Hurta, chief engineer and builder, which began construction by burial of a medal of St. Jude. As the new building was started, it was offered as a token to the Saint of the impossible.

​

" The Impossible," with a prayer to St. Jude and the donation of Mr. J.L. Burke, who gave to St. Cecilia a lot on the corner of S. 5th Street and W. Nevada, and the donation of another two lots by Mr. Mrs. Tony Hurta, construction began.

It was during the construction pase of the Church building that Fr. Boniface Bianco, OFM Conv. became administrator of the Parish of St. Cecilia.

​

Members of the Parish, transported the Indian red bricks from the rail-station to the church location. The exterior shell was complete; the interior finishing progressed.

Let’s Work Together

Get in touch so we can start working together.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page